Best 3-Person Camping Hammocks
Looking for an easy to setup giant hammock for your group or small family? Look no further than our Trillium giant 3-person hammocks.
This guide will help you figure out important considerations to make before purchasing a giant camping hammock and the best camping hammocks available for three people.
In this guide:
- What is a 3-person camping hammock? A camping hammock is different from your usual hammocks, this section explains more.
- Differences between standard camping hammock &Tentisle camping hammocks: find out more in this section
- What to consider when purchasing a 3-person camping hammock: There are certain aspects you should look for when purchasing a three person camping hammock, this section explains more.
- Best three person camping hammocks: We review our two giant camping hammocks; find out more in this section.
- How to set up a 3-person camping hammock: Setting up with Tentsile is easy – see our set up process in this section.
Hammock camping, as it sounds, is when you camp and sleep on a hammock instead of taking your tent. Depending on the type of hammock, this is only an option in warmer weather.
Benefits of a 3-Person Hammock:
- Camping hammocks are popular among backpacking and bike packing enthusiasts because unlike most tents, they are lightweight and don’t take up much space.
- With a hammock you don’t need to take into account the condition of the ground below. You can hang your camping hammock over wet, uneven, stick/stone-covered ground or even on a slope. All you need to set one up are a few anchor points, making them extremely versatile as you can set one up anywhere that you can find trees.
While both standard camping hammocks and those supplied by Tentsile offer a great, lightweight alternative to tent, there are some key differences.
Standard Camping Hammock
Tentsile Camping Hammock
Comfortable night's sleep?
There are plenty of considerations to make when purchasing a three-person hammock, these include:
If you’re camping with 3 people, you’ll want to ensure that you’ll all be able to fit comfortably into the hammock so you’ll want it to be at least 6ft (1.83m) wide and long enough for the tallest campers.
Not only does the hammock need to be big enough, but the material has to be strong enough to hold 3 people.
Given that the average American male weighs 197lbs, at a minimum you’ll want a hammock that can hold at least 600lbs to cover 3 guys camping together in a group.
Aside from versatility and weight, comfort is the reason most campers choose a hammock. So, it’s important that your hammock is actually a good place to rest.
Unfortunately, standard hammocks can sag in the middle, which forces you into a single sleeping position, on your back, either with your arms cramped by your sides or crossed over your chest.
Even with larger camping hammocks which are advertised as 3-person hammocks, you’ll find that all 3 people end up squashed together in the centre of the hammock without very little space – regardless of how big the actual hammock is.
Tentsile hammocks are reinforced with seat-belt webbing which providing a structurally supportive floor that does not sag like a traditional hammock.
The lack of sag means that you can lay however you want, on your front back or side with plenty of space as you’re not squashed into a single position.
The reinforcing straps are fully adjustable to compensate for weight differentials of the occupants and create distinct, individual sleeping bays, preventing everyone inside from rolling into the middle – a must have in a 3-person hammock.
If you are planning to camp in colder climates or places with temperamental weather, you may want some added protection .
A rainfly / tarp, or other weatherproofing will help to keep you dry and an insect mesh of bug net will keep mosquitos and other insects away from you while you sleep.
If you want to take a camping hammock along with you while camping with your family or a group of people, then your best options are:
- 3 separate sleeping bays
- Easy set-up
- Central access hatch
- 3 underfloor storage compartments
The Trillium is 13.5 ft / 4.1m long on each side, rated to hold 880lbs / 400kg and so can easily fit 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children and their gear making it the perfect choice for families or groups.
As with all our hammocks and tree tents, the underfloor strap system reinforces and adds strength to the base while creating 3 separate sleeping bays so you don’t all roll into the middle, even when there’s a large weight disparity between campers.
The Safari Trillium is the beefed-up version of our classic Trillium Hammock. It boasts all of the Trillium's great features, but is constructed from a heavy-duty material. The Safari Trillium is a great option for semi-permanent structures (such as backyard set ups) and ideal for use in harsh weather conditions.
How easy is it to set up a 3-person camping hammock?
If you’ve been hiking all day, you’re likely pretty tired by the time it comes to set up camp. You don’t want to spend 30 minutes preparing up your hammock for sleep, so it’s important that the set up is simple and straightforward.
Set up a ground tent before? Then you can set up a double hammock! While it might be daunting to equalize the suspension system, or have a separate bug net and rain tarp, in reality it’s easier than setting up a conventional tent!
- Lay the components out between your chosen trees
- Fix the straps around your chosen trees
- Attach either your chosen fastening to the hammock, be it a ratchet, Weblock, or carabiner
- Thread the strap through the fastening pulling out any slack, and either ratchet tight lock off, or tie off
- Add tension to equalize the set-up
Not convinced? Check out this step by step guide by our founder Alex where he teaches you all about setting up a Trillium.