Memorial Day Activities to Remind Friends & Family What the Holiday Is Really About
We all look forward to the Memorial Day weekend – the long weekend, family get togethers, a chance to get out outdoors and de-stress. It’s easy to forget what Memorial Day is all about, so we’ve put together a few ideas on how you can commemorate the day brave men and women sacrificed their lives while serving in the U.S. military fighting for freedom. Find out more about Memorial Day here.
This day of remembrance, doesn’t have to be indulgent so we’ve provided some frugal ideas to help get you started…
- Attend a Memorial Day Ceremony or Parade - many towns have parades and ceremonies on Memorial Day and some events even conclude with a memorial service. Cheer on your town’s marching band and veterans – check for local events in your local newspaper, online event calendars or social media.
- Pause at 3 p.m. for the National Moment of Remembrance – This annual event asks all Americans, wherever they are at 3pm local time to pause for one minute of silence to remember all those that have died in military service to the U.S.
- Visit a National Park – Take a tour of your local national park, with over 400 national parks spread across the U.S. you’re sure to find one where you can find peace to reflect in nature. Find your nearest national park here. Or find places of remembrance for Memorial Day here.
- Watch the Memorial Day concert – Each year PBS broadcasts the star-studded National Memorial Day Concert and streams it live on their website on Sunday, May 30 at 8pm ET. For details on this year’s line-up and watch the concert visit PBS.
- Have a picnic – find a state park, chuck a blanket, a couple of hammocks and some food and drink in the car and head out for some fresh air and rest and relaxation. The perfect excuse to spend some time together as a family or with friends.
- Have a Memorial Day weekend cookout – gather family and friends for a Memorial Day BBQ, it’s the perfect opportunity to spend quality time with your nearest and dearest. Using your backyard is an affordable way to enjoy the Memorial Day weekend!
- Wear Blue – why not wear blue this Memorial Day in honour of all the fallen servicemen and women and take part in a walk or run on Monday 30th May 2022. Visit Wear Blue: Run to Remember and register for Memorial Day. Participation is free and when you register, you’ll be emailed the name of the fallen service member you are wearing blue for.
Use the Memorial Day weekend not only to remember the fallen but to spend time with your family and friends.